TOPICS COVERED IN THE WORKSHOP
• Mridanga’s Vedic origins and tradition/sampradaya
• Vedic model of performance art in mridanga playing
• Elements of tala/rhythmic structure
• Lahara – tala/rhythm progression and composition
• Playing Mridanga in Kirtan
• Earning titles for proficiency
Students will gain a comprehensive understanding of mridanga’s historical and theoretical background, as well as proficiency in counting and playing fixed and improvisational compositions in tala for training or performance. Those who demonstrate a command of the material of this level of instruction can earn the title “Prabhakara”.